Santana Municipality in Madeira Island

Santana

Santana

Santana Municipality in Madeira Island

Santana has 95.56 km ² and 7719 inhabitants (2011), divided into 6 parishes.
The settlement takes place around the year 1550 with people from Minho (Braga), north of mainland Portugal. So there is the nickname of the locals are the “Bragados”.
 
At the beginning of colonization, the land was divided between nobles and some bourgeois, with ownership of land grant. There was the obligatory breaking and build housing for people and livestock.
 
Santana parish ends up being created by royal decree of June 4, 1552 for a curacy captaincy.
 
This date is dismembered of São Jorge Captaincy and established its headquarters in the Chapel of Santa Ana.
In 1835 amounted to a town and county seat.
On January 1, 2001 Santana was elevated to city.