Machico Municipality in Madeira Island

Machico

Machico

Machico Municipality in Madeira Island

Machico has 68.31 km ² and 21,828 inhabitants (2011), divided into 5 parishes. It was in this county that first landed the discoverers of Madeira, João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira, between 1418 and 1420. The level of architectural heritage, it highlights the Amparo Fort, which has a triangular plant to allow the defense of both sides of Machico bay; House Chapel / Solar Chapel, with elements of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; the Machico Parish Church, built in 1425, and the Christ Chapel, built in the mid-fifteenth century, rebuilt in the sixteenth century and again in 1883. It was damaged by the flood of November 3, 1956 and was restored in 1957. Machico was elevated to city status on 2 August 1996.