Porto Moniz Municipality in Madeira Island

Porto Moniz

Porto Moniz

Porto Moniz Municipality in Madeira Island

Porto Moniz has an established area of 82.93 km² and has 2711 inhabitants, divided into 4 parishes.

The county was created on 31 October 1835. The exact date when colonization began is unknown but should not have been much later than the beginning of the third quarter of the fifteenth century. Francisco Moniz the Elder was one of the earliest settlers and had land allotment being the first in this place to constitute a core residence with a populated farm which contained a chapel.

 

Francisco Moniz was a nobleman and natural from the Algarve, he was married on the island with Filipa Camara. His daughters name was Garcia Rodrigues Camara, and he was the son of the discoverer João Gonçalves Zarco.

Currently, the municipality is well known for its natural pools, an obligatory stop for all tourists visiting the island. These pools have had very little human intervention in their construction being that they are naturally fed by the sea. There is a beach complex surrounding them with showers and cafes/restaurants.

In Porto Moniz, as with most of the parishes and municipalities across the island, you can find Levada Walks like the Ribeira da janela with some tunnels carved into the mountain side connecting the water ways. There is also a small aquarium with some of the marine species that can be found in the waters surrounding the coastline.

 

 

Related products