São Vicente Municipality in Madeira Island

Sao Vicente

Sao Vicente

São Vicente Municipality in Madeira Island

São Vicente has 78.82 km ² and 5723 inhabitants (2011), subdivided in 3 parishes.
Probably the settlement of São Vicente took place in the mid-fifteenth century, having been colonized later than the southern part of the island for reasons of greater fertility.
 
The first locations populated have been São Vicente and Ponta Delgada, respectively.
The progressive increase of the population have contributed to the dismemberment of São Vicente by the captaincy of Machico, being elevated to a town and hamlet, by royal charter on 25 August 1774. The current parishes of Porto Moniz, Seixal, Arco de São Jorge and São Jorge were on their jurisdiction.
 
In 1835, restructuring led to the emergence of two new municipalities, Santana and Porto Moniz, which reduced the area of São Vicente county. However, this was short-lived because, by decree, in 1867 São Vicente returns to the original extension. Again, in 1898, with the re establishment of the extinct municipalities, the county got back to the current area.
Currently, the county recorded a development of the tourism sector, combined with rural tourism.