Farmers Market in Funchal, Madeira

The Farmers Market

Summary:

The Farmers Market, inaugurated in 1940, features New State architecture, including large tile panels that decorate the facade, the entrance and the fishmonger.

About:

The Farmers Market, inaugurated in 1940, features New State architecture, including large tile panels that decorate the facade, the entrance and the fishmonger.
The Farmers Market, in the Funchal’s city center, was dedicated on 24th November 1940. This project designed by Edmundo Tavares (1892-1983), features New State architecture, and reflects the intention to make it the major supply point of the city.
Large Batisttini Faience tile panels of Maria de Portugal, dated 1940 and painted with regional themes by João Rodrigues, adorn the facade, the main entrance and the fishmonger.
Today, this venue still carries out the functions for which it was created. Here all kinds of products are sold, mixing colours, sounds, smells and multiple nationalities.

Schedules:

Address:

Largo dos Lavradores, 9060 - 158 Funchal